2016 Archive

October 2016 updates

Posted November 14, 2016 By Webmaster


LHRy coordinated and funded the move of remains of a Morris Canal boat from Highlands, NJ to Waterloo Village for preservation and display. The 100+ year boat remnants were found to be the foundation of a residential structure which was raised above the flood plane. The artifacts were donated to the Canal Society of NJ by the Scanlon Family and moved on 7 October by the tractor-trailer & fork lift of Shadyside Trucking – Capt. Phil Francis owner/driver.


LHRy has renewed their sponsorship of the annual Toys for Tots collection trains organized by the Military Transport Association of North Jersey.


At the LHRy board meeting of 26 September, funding for the repair and restoration of the 1946 Ford Transit bus owned by Friends of the NJ Transportation Heritage Center was approved. It will be repainted into the original Somerset Bus Co. colors and moved to the Lakewood garage to join the balance of the restored bus fleet.


LHRy is in discussions with the Delaware & Raritan Canal Watch on funding for construction of a replica canalboat to provide educational ride experiences on the D & R Canal for the disabled and the general public.

Be the first to comment

Railroad Museum [for a day] flyer

Posted August 25, 2016 By Webmaster



Posted August 9, 2016 By Webmaster

Several years ago, LHRy acquired title to the 30 ton, 0-4-0, side-rod, diesel-mechanical, former Athenia Substation switcher, which was donated by Public Service Electric and Gas Co.

On July 22 it was delivered to Boonton NJ and will be cosmetically restored.

13782198_10157310201450089_1009149743047834315 13769555_10157310192340089_1883707968379041128 13710009_10157310202015089_1289102778970085884 13708166_10157310747935089_8640883724682913384 13690747_10157310201200089_3973597316746729295

Summer 2016 news

Posted August 8, 2016 By Webmaster


LHRy is now a member in good standing of the Railroad Passenger Car Alliance.


The one-mile-long Lynton & Barnstaple Ry carried 48,000 passengers last year. They have just gotten approval to rebuild / extend more of their original line


Posted July 5, 2016 By Webmaster

Mid-day on June 22, a reopening ceremony of the 1889 CRR of NJ Jersey City Terminal was held at Liberty State Park. It marked the completion of a nearly $20 million restoration of the historic terminal which was devastated by Superstorm Sandy in October 2012. It was the largest Atlantic event on record which struck New Jersey / New York Harbor with a storm surge of 13.88 feet, the highest ever recorded. The wind driven waves blew in doors and windows on the north, east and south sides of the first floor of the Terminal building and blew them out on the west side. Contents were inundated by four feet of water inside the building and the surge and wave action destroyed furniture, exhibits and contents. Highlights of the ceremony were the moving National Anthem and Performance by Liberty: The Monumental New Musical performers. The mail / baggage wagon which was restored by Bill McKelvey before Sandy has been returned to the Terminal waiting room but minus the historic canvass mail bags which we donated in 2012. A gift bag was given to all invitees that included a pair of tumblers with an etched view of the iconic terminal building.

Ralph Shelhamer and Bill McKelvey attended the ceremony and were most impressed with the installation of the full set of track / train announcement curtains / signs on all 20 tracks of the concourse. They represented the 1938 to 1941 period of the peak of name train operation at the terminal as researched with much help from CRR of NJ Veterans members, especially the late Bob Hoeft. Burt Sempier, reporter for WMBC-TV interviewed Bill McKelvey.

Liberty State Park is again host for NJ’s Tall Ship A. J. MEERWALD on its annual 11 day June / July visit with public sails. For schedule and tickets visit: www.bayshorecenter.org The Jersey City car pound on the west side of the park, along Phillip Drive, has been vacated, most likely in preparation for development.


Posted June 13, 2016 By Webmaster

On June 13 Bob Hooper and Bill McKelvey made a PowerPoint presentation to the Wharton Mayor and Borough Council. We also gave them our business plan, copies of letters of support and or pledges from LHRy, Friends of the NJ Transportation Heritage Center, URHS and the Canal Society of NJ, as well as postcard views of the trolley cars we plan to use. We were favorably received.

Next step: to meet with Morris County decision makers.

WHARTON CANAL DAY, Saturday, August 20th

Posted May 31, 2016 By Webmaster

A date for your calendar: Wharton Canal Day Music & Craft Festival, Saturday, August 20, 10 am – 5 pm @ Hugh Force Canal Park, 180 West Central Avenue, Wharton. This is an old time country fair that celebrates the Morris Canal and its contributions to the development of the communities along its banks. Will include free narrated boat rides, craft & art show, traveling zoo, black smith demonstrations, Civil War encampment, food, fireworks, & more. We will also be there with exhibits and sales tables. Free Admission. Off-street parking available – $5. Info: Canalday.org

We were wrong!

Posted May 30, 2016 By Webmaster

We confess that we jumped to conclusions about the history / origin of the little railroad building at the corner of N. Main Street and E. Dewey Avenue in Wharton. Here’s why: The above building is 16.5′ x 12.5′. The former CNJ Hopatcong Junction Station, built in 1889, was 26′ x 16′. The former CNJ Wharton passenger station, built in 1876, was 51′ x 18′. We now think that the surviving much smaller building may have been a railroad section house located near the passenger station, where the CNJ crossed Main Street. It certainly has CNJ architecture and it would have been relatively easy to move it the few blocks north to its present location. However, we have been unable to locate the structure on old Sanborn Fire maps or find any photos which document it. Nor are there any local people who can remember where it was moved from. We would be pleased to gain any information that might help us verify the history of the building for which LHRy recently funded a replacement slate roof.

CNJ Jersey City Terminal Reopens!

Posted May 29, 2016 By Webmaster

We are pleased to report that the CNJ Jersey City Terminal building at Liberty State Park has finally reopened. The structure as well as the Park itself suffered extensive damage during Superstorm Sandy on October 29 and 30, 2012. Unfortunately, the six historic photo panels which LHRy installed on the concourse gates in September, 2012 will not be present. They were damaged by the storm water which rose to four feet above the floor level. However, all the new train – track announcement curtains are now in place. LHRy worked with former CNJ employees and Liberty State Park to make sure that the signs and their placement accurately represent the peak era of name train usage, eg: The Blue Comet, The Williamsporter, The Queen of the Valley, Monmouth Park Race Train, The Royal Blue, The National Limited, The Crusader, and The Wall Street.

Goals of LHRy to be revised

Posted May 28, 2016 By Webmaster

Liberty Historic Railway was formed in January 2010. Our efforts up to 2013 were specifically aimed at providing historic trolley shuttle service in Liberty State Park to enhance park-user mobility, improve visitor access, and reduce motor vehicle traffic and parking demand, as well as to provide displays of heritage rail equipment under a restored Jersey Central Jersey City Terminal Train Shed. Late in 2013 the directors of LHRy found that a moratorium on continued efforts to these ends was warranted. This is due to continued adamant and fanatical opposition to a trolley shuttle by Friends of Liberty State Park, in spite of an expert independent study which validated the trolley shuttle concept. What a shame that ignorant parochial interests prevailed that will not fulfill a more visionary role and need for Liberty State Park. LHRy feels that their organizational priorities and goals need to be revised, updated, and broadened. Director Ted Brewer is leading this effort.